- CARMEL HILL ASHRAM
An ashram was required to cater to the spiritual and material needs of Catholics settled in Wayanad. Fr. Hadrian Kalavara purchased about 25 acres of land at Thalapuzha and started an ashram in 1954, giving it the name Carmel Hills. His work was later carried on by Frs. Philip Louis and Joseph Kunnel. The MSMIsisters also started a convent here on five ares of land donated by the ashram. On June 1st 1973, the first vicar, Fr. Peter Palakunnel, received permission to establish a parish at Thalapuzha. The Thalapuzha Church was built in time. Work on a plantation was also taken up by Fr. Peter Palakunnel and Fr. Philip Louis.This plantation was developed into a model tea estate between the years 1987 and 1995 thanks to the persistent effort taken by Fr. Joseph Pullat. Fr. Pullat also reconstructed Thalapuzha Church and completed the ashram building started by Fr. Thomas Purappanthanam. It was the initiative and limitless contribution of Fr. Justin Koyippuram, the then provincial, that made the construction of Thalapuzha Ashram possible.
|1. Carmel Parish|
|2. Tea Plantation|
|Fr Francis Moonnanal :||Superior & Vicar|
|Fr Joseph Pullattu :||Member|
|Fr Mathew Manickathazhe :||Member|